Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Growing Pains



Has anyone ever had their kids complain of growing pains? I think that Stetson is having them right now but I don't know how to tell for sure. Last week he was walking and he collapsed THREE different times during the day and he was crying saying his leg, knee, and toes were hurting. It was really sad and after wards he said, "can't walk". When it happened it was on his leg that has the telangiectasia veins so I called his Dr. and he said it was probably just numb from him sleeping on it wrong because it was right when he woke up and since Stets has a varicose vein in that knee with those other vein issues it made sense. The Dr. thought the varicose vein was irritated with how he slept and it made everything numb which happens with varicose veins. Well it happened again tonight during dinner but it was his leg that doesn't have any problems at all. I think he is just plain growing!! I just thought they were more common as kids go through puberty.

He is eating MORE than me lately...yesterday for breakfast he had THREE entire waffles and was still asking for more food and ended up eating two entire pieces of bread too. He really doesn't usually eat all that much. For dinner tonight he had an ENTIRE can of Progresso chicken noodle soup, 1/4 of a packet of ramen noodles, three turkey slices and a few pieces of cabbage! Less than an hour later he ate a roll and a banana too and that is NOT like him so I am convinced he is going through another growth spurt.

Anyways, just let me know if your young kiddos have gone through this at such a young age too! Thanks

7 comments:

Shel Loney said...

Ace hasn't done anything like that yet but I remember when I was younger having my legs and arms hurting and my mom telling me she thinks its cause I'm growing. So you can so use my cricut anytime you want! I'm really excited to see what I can do with it. So when are we gonna get together? I'm thinking that me, you, and Shayla should go have dinner or lunch sometime! Let me know.

Megan Maughan said...

This is so funny, Landon is doing the same thing. Not so much with the "growing pains" but definitely eating like a horse lately! Just this morning he had 3 bowls of cereal for breakfast, and my husband said while I was at work he ate almost an entire box of mac & cheese! Landon doesn't usually eat that much...not even close to that much! But he has been the past few days! Sounds like a growth spurt to me!

annilee said...

It sounds like it is! Both of my kids had them. Accept they seemed to get them worse at night time. It helps to rub their legs or feet! Poor Stetsie! I love that picture! What a pimp! Looks like Hef in those jammies! I love it!

.:*The Brown Family*:. said...

Jaxon has never complained about anything hurting, beside his tummy when he is growing but that is beside he was always eating. He eats are house up when he is growning, but I hope that it's just growing pains and nothing else, good luck!

Anonymous said...

hey i used to have those leg things bad as a kid and all my kids had them. we always had a hot water bottle or heating pad or those corn bag things on someones legs. It went on until puberty on a few of them.

Johnsons said...

Hey, I used to have them all the time when I was growing up. It was usually the worst in my calves...ouch. Poor guy. Good luck. We should play sometime.

Kerri said...

I had them growing up and they were BAD. Mostly at night but definately during days as well, especially a long busy day. They happened when I was little through puberty. (In fact, I still have days where my legs have pain like I remember the "growing pains"...obviosly I'm not still growing so go figure.) Rubbing, tylenol, soaking in hot water or a heating pad all helped. Also, both by boys have had episodes where they couldn't walk at times. Christian's was especially bad (I thought it was his hip) and I took him to a specialist and had him evaluated and x-rayed. I even video taped him limping so the doc could see and he ruled everything serious out and said sometimes unexplainable things happen and if it doesn't get in the way of their growth or the function of their life, there is not much we can do about it. I agree sometimes about the numb thing. Christian was about Stetson's age. I haven't noticed anything for quite some time. Connor's has never been as bad but definately limps from time to time. I'm hoping he grows out of it as well. I started to wonder if it was genetic as I have bad hips...who knows.? Good luck! Tell Annilee, my kids have those kinds of p.j.s too and I love them. I have never thought of Hef, but I see what she means, we just need to get them in red silk. :) Too cute!